Announcing our January 2018 MVP. Congratulations Guy Provencal!!! If there was a person that needed to start you off with some motivation for your goals in 2018, then you need to read this. You will always see him slam his whey protein isolate shake right after his class, and he is always there to cheer everyone on till the end.
A little intro to him, is an excerpt he shared with our membership just last week.
“Had my final weigh in and body composition check on Friday. Since August 2017, which is when the last one was done, I lost 3 pounds of overall weight, lost 4% body fat, and added 7lbs of lean muscle weight. I started the year in 2017 weighing 297. My body fat percentage was 33.6%. My pants size was a 42” waist, but about half way through the day I would loosen my belt and unbutton the top button of my jeans because they would cut in to me. As of Friday, I weighed 240 on the button, body fat percentage was 12.9% (the lowest it’s ever been), the waist on the pants I wore to the appointment was 36” with room to spare. Total for my first year of CrossFit; lost 57lbs, 20.7% body fat, and 8” off my waist. Pretty proud of those results.”
His Goal for 2018; body fat in single digits.
Name: Guy Provençal
Family: 1 wife for 23 years (in a row) this March, 3 daughters. Samantha 19, Annabelle 14, and Elizabeth Grace 5 (we don’t plan well)
When and how did you get started with us?
I was trying to find something on Netflix to help me get motivated to try and exercise (December 2016). I came across the “Fittest on Earth” documentary about the 2015 CrossFit games. I loved it. The last week of that month I went to the doc and with all my effort to exercise (which was minimal) I had gained 4 pounds and weighed in at 297. That next Monday I contacted Jake and came in the next Saturday for the first On Ramp class of 2017.
It has been 1 year on 1/7/18 with JCCF.
Favorite Lift: any overhead press
Favorite Workout: anything with rowing
Least Favorite Workout: Tommy Mac or anything with burpees. It’s hard picking me up off the floor.
Favorite Meal: Tacos
Favorite Beverage: Water
Funniest memory at the box: probably the time my friend rubbed the skin off his butt doing sit ups.
What class time do you usually attend and what is the favorite part about that class?
4:30 is my usual class and it’s all about the people.
What is the wallpaper on your phone right now? A picture of my girls
Top Ten Things Guy stated he learned at JCCF after celebrating his one year anniversary:
1. You don’t “get” time to work out, you “take” time to work out. The best gift I can give my family is a long, healthy life. There’s nothing selfish about working on you.
2. Your mind will quit way before your body will. Conquer the area between your ears and you’ll be shocked at the athlete locked inside your body.
3. The beauty of CrossFit is NOT in the program. One of the first things Greg Glassman did was give the workout away for free. The beauty of CrossFit is in the community of people. The people that hold you accountable, push you past where you thought you could go, and cheer you across the finish line are what make CrossFit the amazing thing that it is.
4. Be excited for other people when they win and people will always be excited when you win.
5. Surround yourself with people who push you to do more than you thought you could do. You’ll find that you start accomplishing more than you thought you could more and more.
6. Never be afraid to try and never be ashamed to miss. Sooner or later you’ll get it if you keep trying.
7. Confidence comes from success. Success comes from effort. Put in the effort and success and confidence will follow.
8. Egos are dangerous. They’re the biggest roadblock to success in any area of life because they stall your effort. Start where you can and keep working. Remember, success comes from effort not ability.
9. Everybody is special and worth something to somebody. Remember that and invest in yourself. Someone will reap your rewards.
10. Nobody can do everything alone. Gather strength from others and never be afraid to lean on others. One day you’ll be the strong one and they will need to lean on you.
What is your favorite JCCF Tradition/Community Event? Probably not the “event” you’re talking about, but it’s my favorite none the less. I absolutely LOVE Saturday morning WODs. They are always a challenge and always something different from the rest of the week.
What is your favorite candy bar? None, can’t eat sugar
If you won $10,000 Dollars what would be your first purchase?
That’s easy, another family vacation. I love hanging out with my ladies.
If you could be any animal in the world, what would it be and why?
A bear, bears eat whatever they want, they never worry about getting fat, and they get to take a 3 month nap. How cool would that be?
If you could give any advice for a person new to CrossFit, what would it be?
Keep coming back. Don’t give up. Once I realized that the program works and I could trust that all the coaches were looking out for my best interests I realized that the only thing I had to do was show up and do my best.
And don’t listen to the people that say it gets easier, the whole point of the program is not to be easy. Sam said that if you’ve found a way to make a movement easier, you’re doing it wrong.
That last part is a joke….kinda.
Please list two future goals:
6 months: 5000m row in under 20 minutes/ 10,000m row in under 40 minutes
One year: single digit body fat percentage
Favorite Quote: I have 2, you pick the one you like.
“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,” Philippians 3:13
“If you aim at nothing, you’ll surely hit it.” Zig Ziglar
Anything else you wish to share that your heart desires:
I am thankful for this community. Every coach and every CrossFitter that shows up day in and day out, week after week, month after month has contributed to my success. JCCF is the only gym I have ever walked into and had strangers introduce themselves to make me feel welcome and cheer me on through the workout. Y’all are awesome!!!